After the day at work I headed straight to my teacher’s workshop and did some work on my next rod, which will be a haze (goby) tebane rod. My shirogisu rod is finally coming together, aside from the slightly embarassing parts where I mucked up the lacquering it still looks quite good, from a distance, and once the guides are wrapped on it is basically finished. Before that it needs a polish and buffing all over, then the ‘eyes’ (where the leaf shoots sprout from) of the bamboo are painted in, and the joints and tip need a last transparent layer of lacquer to bring out the colour; I thought I had finished the lacquering but I discovered since my last session my teacher had added an extra layer of emerald green, with shakings of gold dust, to give the rod a little character.
As for the goby rod, I made a start on what is for me one of the hardest parts: wrapping the joints with thin cotton thread (this are later hardened with lacquer). After practising in my spare time a little I have definitely improved since my first effort, but it really does my wrist and fingers in; I console myself with the thought that there are professional rod makers (or rather, their downtrodden apprentices) who have to do this all day!