Nine hours at work followed by four hours in the workshop; ’twas a long day, made all the less amusing by the fact I didn’t have a homemade tiffin for lunch to sustain me, so I had to eat at my workplace canteen. Considering I’ve eaten English boarding school meals (on which the school spent almost nothing, and was largely on a 7-day, 14-meal rotating menu), British Army 24-hour rations and even Japanese Buddhist temple food (deliberately designed to be flavourless and not “inflame the passions”) without complaint, theirs was an exceptionally poor effort.
Anyway, work as usual was not particularly amusing, and the rod making was moderately demanding. The lacquer I put on the silk thread to wrap the reel seat and guides had thoroughly cured, so I then flattened it out by sanding with very fine, wetted sandpaper (these are the dull, pale patches you can see) and put on another layer of lacquer, this time red. I also did the all-important red bands (fukurin) bordering the main joint and the tip/bamboo joint. It then needs another sanding, and another layer of transparent lacquer, and the rod is complete! I can’t wait to use it next Sunday.